NYATEP's Workforce Acceleration Institute for Leaders of Color (WAI)
NYATEP is thrilled to announce the NYS Workforce Acceleration Institute for Leaders of Color (WAI) in partnership with Cornell University, New York State Urban League, Asian American Federation and the Hispanic Federation.
About the WAI Institute:
This twelve month leadership intensive will elevate individuals by: developing equity-focused leadership competencies; developing an in-depth knowledge of statewide and national workforce policies; building a network of leaders across the NYS workforce system; and identify policies that break down systemic barriers that have kept individuals of color within the NYS workforce system from advancing and making an impact within their local communities.
Focus & Initiatives:
- Expand OR Elevate equity-focused leadership competency
- Developing an in-depth knowledge of statewide and national workforce policies
- Build a network of leaders across New York State workforce system
- Identifying and break down policies that have kept individuals of color within the New York State workforce system from advancing and making an impact within their local communities
- Applications are due August 10th, 2023.
- Applicants will be notified on August 15, 2023 of their acceptance.
- Program starts with a half-hour kick off meeting hosted by Cornell University on August 29, 2023.
- Phase 1 will include two required courses through eCornell which are: Analyzing Power & Systems, Fostering an Inclusive Climate and ONE elective; Building Leadership Character OR Applying Strategic Influence, or Navigating Power Relationships.
- Phase 1 will also include three mandatory LIVE sessions with Director, Human Resource, Leadership and DEI Professional Programs, Lisa Csencsits.
- The dates for those live sessions are September 28th, October 17th and November 14th from 6PM-8PM.
- Phase 2 will be from January-June and will include six sessions, three remote and three in Albany, NY at NYATEP Headquarters. Those dates will be released closer as to accommodate accepted participants.
All applicants must:
- Attend all institute events
- Be able to travel to Albany, NY for in person trainings
- Have a computer and internet access for remote learning, which includes a working camera and microphone
- MUST be a member of NYATEP
- The WAI is open to active NYATEP members. If you are unsure of the status of your membership or would like to become a member, please e-mail our Membership Network Coordinator, Gina at [email protected].
The Workforce Acceleration for Leaders of Color Institute has been made possible through the generous support of:
NYS Workforce Acceleration Institute for Leaders of Color (WAI): Advisory Committee Members:
- Alejandro Mendoza, Optimax
- Damien Howard, Per Scholas
- Diana Caba, Hispanic Federation
- Erika Hill, Vision Street Research
- Jonathan Jones, City of Albany
- Juhanna Rogers Center State CEO
- Liliana Polo-McKennna, Independent Consultant/Former CEO of Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow
- Marissa Martin, Advocacy Institute
- Patricia Robinson, Greater Jamaica Development Organization/ Audacy Inc., The Block 94.7 FM
- Paula Bailey, Grant Associates
- Retha Fernandez, Suffolk County
- Tomasine Oliphant, Dutchess County Community College
- Joo-Ann Yoo, Asian American Federation
- Shalima McCants, NY Urban League